In this tutorial we will see how to create an HTTP server. A web server is software installed on a computer that allows other computers to access specific files on that computer/server. There are many reasons to create your own home servers. For example: file sharing, so you can download files from your home computer from anywhere or you can create a web site on own server etc. Simply said It works like this; You choose a directory on your computer , in that directory add folders, files like music,video and etc. When you put the IP address of your computer the in web browser you can see all the files from that folder and you can download those files. Let’s now create a server(HTTP server!) using Apache(a server client):
1. You must have:
- Broadband internet connection always on
- Windows on your computer
2. Create a folder on your disc , in this example I created a folder on E:\my server
3. Download apache_2.2.10-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi and install it, set parameters( for localhost type something like a myserver.com(doesn’t really matter), also type your email address in field “Administrator@ Email Address” ) as shown below, choose where you want to install it.
4..When you install Apache , go to directory where you installed it (p.e. “C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\conf”) , here you will find a httpd file.
Open that file with notepad.
After this will appear notepad with long and complicated code, don´t worry, you must change just 3 things.
5. In notepad file find #DocumentRoot “C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs” and replace with #DocumentRoot “E:\my server”. Also find #<Directory “C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs” and replace with <Directory “E:\my server”.
E:\my server is folder where you put files which will appear on your server. In this example I created that folder on local disc E:. You can create your folder in any other place, but then type that path here. Find #AllowOverride None and change to AllowOverride All.
After this, save file like httpd.conf.
6. Type in web addresses http://localhost/ or your IP Address, you should see something like this
Every files you put in folder , which we created in step 2 , will be shown on http://localhost/
7. If you want access own server from other computers. You must forward a port in the router we’re using. The port we need to forward is port number 80. Why? Because by default it’s the port used for HTTP. Port forwarding actually means opening a tunnel through the router so that the router wouldn’t reject the connections that are trying to connect to it. How to port-forward? With every router it’s different. Here are the instructions for every one of them. You must also turn off you firewall.
That is all. Enjoy your home server. If you have questions, post them in the comments area.
Note: Creating home server is risky,when you open port, there is a possibility to have someone a breach in your computer .Before you start, make sure your computer has all the latest patches and security updates, and that you’ve done a thorough spyware and virus scan. This tutorial is only for advanced users
If you want to learn more about creating server below you can request for free ebook called Run Your Own Web Server Using Linux & Apache – Free 191 Page Preview
|If you want to learn more about creating server and how to use it I recommend you free video training tutorials from David Gassner . Tutorials describes how to install and perform the initial configuration of Apache, MySQL, and PHP, known as the AMP stack, on a local development computer.||GET FREE VIDEO TUTORIALS|