This is step by step tutorial with images that explains how to install xfce4 on FreeBSD.
1. We need to download xorg package. It will take a little bit of time for downloading.
Type following command
pkg_add -r xorg
2. After we been installing xorg we need to install xfce.
It’s the same command but instead xorg , it’s xfce4
pkg_add -r xfce4
3. We need to edit rc.conf file, I use vi editor
Basic vi commands:
x delete single character under cursor
i insert text before cursor, until
for more commands visit basic vi commands
you need to add
and pres ESC , save it vith :w!
4. Navigate to root and type following command
echo "/usr/local/bin/startxfce4" >> ~/.xinitrc
5. Rebot your system
6. If everything is ok , we should be able to start xfce4 with command